Spirulina is two species of algae that has been successfully and safely used as a dietary supplement in people for centuries and more recently in animals. There have been recent studies in veterinary medicine that show Spirulina has benefits to enhance the immune system in dogs. It is easily digested in dogs and has not been shown to have any side effects. Spirulina is found in Hemp and Hips by Veterinary Naturals.
1. Spirulina acts as an anti-inflammatory
- The main cause of pain in dogs with orthopedic diseases is inflammation and Spirulina acts as an anti-inflammatory
2. Spirulina has antioxidant properties:
- The natural properties may prevent or delay damage to cells
- The natural molecules help to eliminate free radicals (molecules that can damage cells, proteins and DNA)
3. Increases the amount of good bacteria and fungus in the gastrointestinal tract of dogs
- This can help with digestion and decrease gastrointestinal upset in dogs such as vomiting, diarrhea and decreased appetite
4. Spirulina has also been suggested to have benefits in preventing other diseases such as:
- Brooks, Wendy. “Medications for Degenerative Arthritis in Dogs and Cats”. Veterinary Partner, Veterinary Information Network, 2001.
- Reynolds, Arleigh & Ebenezer Satyaraj. “Nutritional Immunomdulation: Spirulina for Immune & Gut Health in Dogs”. American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Conference. Veterinary Information Network, 2014.
You can buy our vet prescribed supplements here:
Veterinary Naturals Hemp & Hips "Senior Large Breed":
Veterinary Naturals Hemp & Hips Joint Supplement: